In 1808, Martin Shofner migrated with his family from the state of North Carolina to settle a tract of land, given to him for services rendered in the American Revolutionary War. Being a devout German Lutheran, Martin dedicated an acre of this land for a church constructed of logs, with a cemetery beside it. It became the first Lutheran church in Tennessee and the “Mother Church” of the denomination in the area west of the Great Smokey Mountains. This Fund was established to ensure it will be around to serve successive generations of the Shofner family, by endowing annual support for the maintenance of the historic building and grounds.
Established in 2010