The Gower Cemetery on Gower Road is located in the still, mostly rural community in the West Nashville/Bellevue area off River Road near Overall Creek. This historic pioneer family cemetery sits on a portion of land originally settled by Reverend William Gower (1776-1851) and his wife Charlotte Garland (1782-1860). William Gower was converted to the Methodist faith in 1803 by Lorenzo Dow, a famous itinerant who visited the Gower home on this land. William Gower established the first Gower’s Chapel about 1805. It was the forerunner of the present Centenary United Methodist Church. William’s mother, Obedience Blakely Gower (1740-1816), was the first burial in April 1816.
Throughout the years, descendants, neighbors and organizations have made efforts to maintain this cemetery. The heartfelt interest in supporting this endeavor continues to grow; from a few descendants to over 375 family members, related families, neighbors, and many others who care about the importance of historic cemetery preservation. Efforts to raise funds and support the restoration, tombstone repairs, burial marker replacements, and maintenance that began in 2017 will continue through the Historic Gower Cemetery Fund.