The necessity for an educated ministry for the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church was first articulated by Bishop Daniel Alexander Payne at the AME General Conference of 1844 in Pittsburgh, PA. The contemporary continuance of this need is evidenced by the late Reverends D.B. Barton and John Landers, whose gift and bequest, respectively, have made possible the establishment of this Theological Fund by the Board of Trustees of the AME Church. The proceeds of this fund will provide one or more annual scholarships to a theological student who has been admitted to an accredited seminary to study for the M. Div. degree, has a strong academic record, demonstrates a financial need and is committed to a ministerial career in the AME Church.
Established in 2008